What is wealth stewardship?
Wealth stewardship identifies the values and behaviors that each family member feels are important to maintain their prosperity, purpose, and meaning. It is just as important a part of family wealth management as prudent investing is.
Making sure that your family’s wealth achieves the purpose it was intended for involves addressing important questions such as:
- What is the main purpose of our family’s wealth, now and in the long term?
- As a family, what are our biggest concerns about keeping and building upon what we have?
- What do we do well in terms of managing our family’s wealth? What would we like to improve?
- As a wealth creator, how do I better ensure that my money does something “for” my family rather than “to” my family?
As wealth advisors to high net worth families, we have seen our share of successful wealth stewardship in the families we’ve worked with. We broke it down to a five step process, as outlined in the wealth stewardship checklist you can download here.
Family Human Capital
To many wealth families, the preservation of family human capital is of high importance. As experts in family wealth management, we help families better ensure their long-term prosperity by going well beyond traditional investment advice. This involves an evaluation of all the elements of family human capital and creation of a plan to optimize them.
Parents routinely invest in family human capital by providing a college education for their children. Unfortunately, education alone will not ensure a family’s long term prosperity.
We invite you to contact to us to learn more about how some families better ensure their long term prosperity by going well beyond the standard of investing in a college education for their children.
Long term family prosperity is generated and maintained by the attributes of family members. Those attributes include trust, knowledge, social and individual talents, mental and physical health. Family wealth stewardship is about fostering a fiduciary mindset among all members of a family, wealth creators and beneficiaries alike.
A fiduciary mindset carefully weighs the short-term and long-term benefits and risks of financial decisions. It encourages family wealth management decisions being made in the best long-term interests of the beneficiaries.
- It recognizes that prudent risk taking is a necessary component of long-term prosperity.
- It upholds that investment is not just about buying financial assets; it can mean spending money to encourage constructive behaviors, obtain knowledge, experience and hopefully some wisdom.
- It recognizes that providing a college education to heirs, in and of itself, is not enough to ensure a family’s long-term prosperity
- It’s about recognizing and fostering the natural strengths and talents within in families while mitigating their weaknesses.
As wealth counselors in Eugene and Bend Oregon, we are set apart by our intention to be an advocate for your family.
Contact us today.